Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sustainability

"Sustainability"

Temperatures rose
To over one hundred degrees
We took some shade
Underneath this gnarled oak tree
Its trunk twisted this way and that
Look closely and you'll see
Outer bark shaped itself to resemble a heart

For our lives I thought this was a reward
What a misconception for our warmth
I breathed the distinction of sulfur in my lungs
As the smoke from the fire made its way along

I created this fire, didn't I?
A while back, I must've left some lights on at home
I was in such a rush to get to you I was careless
Something short circuited and sent a flurry of flames
I'm sorry, I'm to blame

We should start thinking
Of sustaining you and me
Or what we have will turn to nothing eventually

Because I'm feeling this fire more and more
And the smoke makes its way into my veins
The pollution it spreads into the air
I took in eight hundred pounds of despair

And I know it doesn't feel so good now
But with a little bit more time we'll work it out
I'll recycle my thoughts again and again
With every use they gain more meaning

Temperatures rose
To over one hundred degrees
And we'll stay here
Underneath this gnarled oak tree
Soon we'll be self-sustaining
With this brand new start
Reused from the ashes of broken hearts.


No comments: